About WA Institute of Sport:
The WA Institute of Sport (WAIS) supports champions, enabling Western Australian athletes to achieve international sporting success.
The project involves working with WAIS to troubleshoot issues relating to an existing pole-vaulting app. The ability to efficiently record and manage performance variables from athlete to athlete will be a huge advantage in developing the perfect vaulting scenario for individuals, optimising athletic performance for potential Olympic gold-medallists at the Tokyo Games.
Presented with this real-world problem, students will have the opportunity to work within WAIS to gain an understanding of the technical challenges and opportunities to innovate, before breaking off into an app development team to find the best solution.The process is as follows:
- Initial meeting/exposure: Ultimately, the initial meeting would be getting a better understanding of pole vaulting and the variables involved and seeing current output.
- Brainstorm: Collaboratively throw around of ideas with the end users.
- App developed: The student led team will then break off, identify the requirements to achieve this solution and then action their ideas.
What is required:
- This project would ideally suit computer science or engineering students with good working knowledge of programming language (e.g. Python, Matlab, Java, R) for software development.
- 1/2 day (approx. 3 hours of your time) to go into WAIS and get an understanding of the challenges and opportunities surrounding tech support for the pole vaulters.
- Commitment to working with WAIS to creating and producing an optimal solution, this would include troubleshooting the issues, identifying a best solution, pitching this to WAIS and then working in a small team to produce this solution.
What to expect
- An exciting opportunity to gain a better understanding of WAIS and work within an elite pole vault program, to find a way to optimise technology and better utilise performance variables to the advantage of each vaulter for optimal performance.
- Access and use of the student innovation centre and its facilities.
Complete the expression of interest form by 28th February and we will be in contact!Express Your Interest >