March 16, 2020

Council Wrap-Up: February 2020

Luke Thomas

Hi everyone,

I hope you all have been able to take the time to look out for yourself and put your wellbeing first. These past few weeks have been fairly unprecedented, and we’re all together in this global uncertainty. So please, give our Student Assist team a call if they can help out all – if you’re struggling, we want to be there to support you.

Obviously the COVID-19 response is now commanding a lot of our attention. Student safety is our first priority, and we encourage you to get in touch and have your voice heard.

We have been up to a lot of work in the meanwhile, so I just wanted to give you a brief update of our activities up until the February Council.

Council Wrap Up

• Called for compassionate response to students affected by COVID-19 travel restrictions and encouraged the University and Governments to consider financial assistance to students in need.
  • Accepted Lyn Beazley Institute Terms of Reference, giving a structure to the new Student-Lead Think Tank.
  • Adopted Class Representative Advisory Committee Rules allowing the Class Rep system to grow stronger and more organised.

Recent Achievements

• Completed a successful O-Day – thanks to everyone for coming!
  • WiFi upgrades to James Oval and Oak Lawn, reducing blackspots.
  • Opened IGA on Campus!
  • Business School Café opened. Come down to try the Taiyaki!
  • Outdoor furniture and new club equipment distributed throughout the University.
  • Online Executive Training completed for Club and Society leadership.
  • International Students’ Department Lighthouse Magazine launched
  • Bushfire relief organised and distributed to assist fellow Australians.
  • Feasibility Study for Cameron Hall elevator
  • Waiver of non-attendance penalties for March 13 Climate Strike
  • Worked with Campus in launch of Whoosh, providing accessible bikes on campus.
  • Lyn Beazley Institute created, to provide a student voice to policy development.
  • Climate Change Action Network created, to organise our voice in addressing the climate crisis.

And that’s about a wrap on some of the big achievements. As always, please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions.

Best,

Luke